Monday 5 May 2008

Normalcy and some fitness...

Many perceive the things that happen at the house are difficult to deal with. It is important to remind the four of you who read the blog that at the house normalcy reigns supreme. The house provides families a place to experience traumatic events such as a critical illness, or an end of life stay without any other issues taxing their emotions. Illness and death is a normal life event and we all deserve to be in a safe environment whenever possible.

I can't forget about this Adventure I have signed myself up for. A large part of completing the race is to have a modicum of fitness. It is events like these that keep me trying to attain a decent level of fitness. How do you set your goals for fitness? Is weight loss the sole indicator of fitness? No. I like to eat. I also like to drink the occasional beer or three. The best indicator for fitness is your ability to do something as simple as moving your body!

My first goal set this season as I began to run again four weeks ago was to be able to move my body over 5k at a pace of 5 min / kilometer. I managed to do that on Sunday. Now my goal is to maintain that pace for the next five runs.....sigh.
My next goal is to be able to lift my body doing dips and chin ups. We'll have to see how that one goes.

No comments:

The Blog

My name is Malcolm and I was a volunteer at Canuck Place Children's Hospice in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for nearly seven years. Now I support them by raising money by participating in the Canuck Place Adventure Challenges!


I said hospice. Not really a word that you associate with children but there you go. We will tell you about the house as this blog progresses with the hope that you will learn, and as you learn we hope that you will share. The purpose of the Adventure Challenge is to raise money for AND awareness about Canuck Place.

The name of each kid at the house you read about has been changed.

September 14th and 15th are the dates for the next Adventure Challenges.

You can sponsor me for the race here: Adventure Challenge
Maybe you should do the race?

Names:

Just a quick note about the names of the kids in the house that you will read about: they are made up!