Saturday 14 March 2009

Friday March 13

OoooOoo, Friday the 13th...how queer. Even queerer is that there was also a Friday the 13th in February...oh the queer things in this world.

Yesterday was a pretty quiet day at the hospice. As I walked in I was greeted by Karen the receptionist and one of the nurses holding a very cute baby Hannah. I peered into the kitchen and there I saw Jen, Tony, some nurses and a family. So Jen and Tony finally meet! For three months they have missed each other - either Jen was sick, or Tony was sick, but finally yesterday they were both not sick. yay!
As I said before, the house was pretty quiet - a lot of kids left earlier today, like Kenneth, who was at CP last Friday too! Too bad I missed him.
A family I had met before were there too, and I saw the mom and the sister, Stella, at the dinner table. Stella is 9-years-old and she was very eager for us to finish eating our dinner!
After we finished off the delicious meal, Stella led us up to the Art room via the elevator, which she insisted was our taxi and she was our driver, and we started playing School. We had a "field trip" down to the Volcano room, where we had a competition in building castles. I won (according to Stella) the "fastest" award, and Jen won the "most effort" award. haha!
Then we went back upstairs, and while Stella ran to her room to get some candy, I sneaked out of the schoolroom to go downstairs to meet someone I have been hoping to see for awhile - Normie! As I went into his room, grandma and aunts were also there, entertaining him with a stuffed monkey that plays a guitar. I was a little worried when I saw how tired Normie looked, and his mom said that all he wants to do is stay in bed and sleep. Too bad the rockband drums are broken now and can't help lift his spirits.
I returned upstairs to find Jen, Tony, Stella and her mom all in the art room. Stella suggested that we play a game with play-do : one person sculpts something and the other people have to guess what it is. Whoever guesses it correctly gets to make the next thing! Stella went first with a bouncy ball, then her mom with a duck, then me with a pod of peas, then Stella again with a stamp, then Jen with a canoe, and finally Tony with a pepperoni and onion pizza!
The final event of the night was..dun dun dun duuunnnn...rock band!!! Tony had to take off early, so it was just Jen, Stella, and I rockin' it out. It was pretty fun, and I got to sing a few songs too. teehee
When it was time for us to go, Stella didn't want us to leave, but her mom bribed here away with a promise for movie and popcorn. =D

No comments:

The Blog

My name is Malcolm and I was a volunteer at Canuck Place Children's Hospice in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for nearly seven years. Now I support them by raising money by participating in the Canuck Place Adventure Challenges!


I said hospice. Not really a word that you associate with children but there you go. We will tell you about the house as this blog progresses with the hope that you will learn, and as you learn we hope that you will share. The purpose of the Adventure Challenge is to raise money for AND awareness about Canuck Place.

The name of each kid at the house you read about has been changed.

September 14th and 15th are the dates for the next Adventure Challenges.

You can sponsor me for the race here: Adventure Challenge
Maybe you should do the race?

Names:

Just a quick note about the names of the kids in the house that you will read about: they are made up!