Saturday 6 August 2011

A call to Fraser Valley teachers

Who would like to help by participating and raising funds for the Canuck Place Children's Hospice that is coming to Abbottsford?  Take a look:  http://extendingourreach.ca/.

Throughout my teaching career I have been regarded by some as "an independent cuss", and I have been proud of that descriptor.  I have also been really independent in the Adventure Challenge and for the last 5 races have always done it alone.

This year I am ready to share.

If you would like to help out there are a couple of things that could happen:

  1. Join the race as another 'independent cuss' and do it alone.
  2. Join me and form a team.
  3. Do the race vicariously through me (or the potential team) and help raise funds with your school/classroom.
Why?  
If you know somebody with a life limiting disease then you know the huge strain that it places on the family.  Respite care is a lifeline to these families.  
Many families travel  from the Okanagan, or Northern BC to Vancouver to stay at Canuck Place and being able to reduce the trip by a couple of hours is a huge deal.  
By adding a second house with another 10 beds doubles the current capacity of Canuck Place.

If you would like to help make a team of somewhat fit (no uber-fit applicants accepted), independent cusses please get in touch with me.

With regards to fitness levels to enjoy the race:  my training will be just enough to convince my wife that I will not drop dead during either of the races.  I prefer to call it minimalistic training.  If you are really fit and would like to join me you will have to pretend to be less fit than you really are.

The last thing about why a team would be good for me is that I need a bed to sleep in the night before the race......

No comments:

The Blog

My name is Malcolm and I was a volunteer at Canuck Place Children's Hospice in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for nearly seven years. Now I support them by raising money by participating in the Canuck Place Adventure Challenges!


I said hospice. Not really a word that you associate with children but there you go. We will tell you about the house as this blog progresses with the hope that you will learn, and as you learn we hope that you will share. The purpose of the Adventure Challenge is to raise money for AND awareness about Canuck Place.

The name of each kid at the house you read about has been changed.

September 14th and 15th are the dates for the next Adventure Challenges.

You can sponsor me for the race here: Adventure Challenge
Maybe you should do the race?

Names:

Just a quick note about the names of the kids in the house that you will read about: they are made up!